Image Map

Sole, Westin Hotel, Memphis

Monday, April 13, 2009

Sole, a new downtown restaurant located inside the Westin Hotel, is a beautiful, clean eatery that faces the FedEx Forum on Third Street. Chef Matthew Crone created one of the best main dishes I've had in this soul food capital of my world. My husband and I were celebrating a much needed night out and sat in the bar of this fresh but I will say vacant restaurant. We are really very casual culinary people and just slipped into the bar and were warmly welcomed by the bartender. He offered us up a cocktail and once I ordered a Chardonnay, he veared me back to the Cabernet menu. The bar was big, long and crowned with two huge flat screens, one with sports I could tolerate and the other with CSI, I guess the bartender was a fan of the show. Back to the menu, I was thrilled when the bartender offered up a special of Scottish Salt-water Trout. We ordered Oysters, which are really against my religion in the south if we're not near a shoreline, that were from the East and West coast. They were served with a spicy cocktail sauce and of course, saltines. I ordered the Field Greens Salad with candied pecans, goat cheese, crispy yams and carmelized shallot vinaigrette dressing. I thought I would fall off the barstool when the salad had the perfect amount of dressing and cheese and it was topped with crispy yams which reminded me of shoe string potatoes only better. Very delicious.
Did I mention the Grenache Caberenet? Fabulous. For dinner I ordered the Sole of course. I have had a lot of different fish before but I have never had Sole. It was fabulous. The sole was prepared by laying it out thin and filling it with bay scallop mousse and rolled and baked. It was served with creamed spinach and roasted artichokes. To die for. The sole was perfect with the spinach and artichokes, two vegetables I am more accustomed to in a dip with Fritos. Jackie had the Trout served with couscous and relish. Delicious, it was. No dessert for us, we were headed to the Death Cab for Cutie Concert at the Orpheum just two blocks down Beale. Nice Chef Crone, well done. We'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment