Image Map

Penne Positano, Birdeye

Sunday, August 2, 2009


Aug. 2, 2009

The morning after Jackie's 20 year high school reunion, I found myself watching my favorite Sunday show, the CBS Morning Show and then over to the Food Network before church. I've been wanting to use another recipe from Fresh, the cookbook from the Lake Austin Spa, called Penne Positano. When I have a portabella left over from that veggie sandwich, I've gotta use it before it starts growing mold, so today I did. I was thrilled to use my own Roma tomatoes, oregano, and onion and actually had on hand the rest of the items which is a rare thing out here in rural, eastern Arkansas. You will love this recipe and always substitute or do without on some of the items, I always do.

Penne Positano

Positano is a small village along Italy's Amalfi's coast.

8 Roma tomatoes, quartered, I used 6 romas and 2 beefmasters
3 T. olive oil
salt and pepper and sugar to taste (recipe says 1/8 t. each)
1 large onion, sliced, not diced, used two small and 1 medium
3 medium portabella mushrooms, sliced in 1 inch pieces, I used one large
12 garlic cloves, minced, I used about 9-10
2 T. white wine
2 T. capers, rinsed, I forgot to
12 pitted Kalamata olives, sliced in half
12 pitted small green olives, sliced in half, Jackie said to use less when he ate it, I used 6 queens and threw away the pimento
1 t. chopped fresh oregano, without stems, or 1/2 t. dried, I used fresh
1/2 t. chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/4 t. dried, I used dried, I did mash it up in my palm to release it's flavor
1. t. fresh parsley, I had none and skipped it
1/8 t. red pepper flakes, I used 1 t., yes I like it kicked up a notch
salt and pepper to taste, I didn't
8 C. cooked penne, I thought it was too much, so I put about 2 C. in the refrig, but it needed all 8 cups
1/2 C. Parmeasan cheese, always grate yourself, and by all means, use the canned if you've got it

Arrange the tomatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet, drizzle a little olive oil over the tomatoes and sprinkle with salt, pepper and sugar. Slow roast tomatoes at 200 degrees for 4 hours, I only had time for an hour and it was delicious. Heat the remaining olive oil over med-LOW heat, which is about 1 T. in a heavy skillet (with sides). Add the onion, cooking slowly, stirring, until it browns and caramelizes. It took mine at least 45 minutes while the tomatoes cooked in the oven. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is fairly dry. It took me a good 15 minutes. By the way, I was totally sorting recycling and unloading the dishwasher, getting things done. Then add the roasted tomatoes right out of the oven, wine, capers, olives, seasonings, and penne. Mix well and cook over low heat until heated through. Serve in bowls topped with Parmesan.

We loved this meal, that it was pasta and we weren't down for a nap afterwards with high fat and over sauced. I do think since I reduced the roasting time down, you can too. I love this recipe and will pull it back out if my garden and pantry allow.

The picture is of BlackJack, the rooster. Chloe has a yard full of Olde English Bantam's, Cochin's and Windot's. We hope this spring to have our own eggs if I can keep the three obnoxious roosters out of the way, those jokers are very cocky, pecky and just plain rude.

No comments:

Post a Comment