Image Map

Chili

Saturday, January 30, 2010



Friday, January 29, 2010

Before our power went off Friday night, I made a pot of chili. I love how easy this recipe is and it's low fat which is always good for me. I have had this recipe for 15 years and recently I've added my own spin on it. I also freeze it so I can make Jackie a Frito-chili Pie later on. I'll add how I do the pie at the end of this.

Chili (this is one recipe but I did double it today so I can freeze the extra)

1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 white onion, chopped small
2 cloves minced garlic
1-14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1-14 oz. can crushed tomatoes (you can substitute diced)
1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
1-4 oz. can diced green chilies
1/4 c. vinegar (yes, use white)
1-14 oz. black beans, rinsed (you can leave this out or substitute)
1-14 oz. can chili beans, rinsed (you can substitute kidney beans)
2 T. hot chili powder (you can use regular)
1 t. ground oregano (you can use dried)
2 t. Tabasco
1 T. Asian chili paste (you can buy this at amazon.com or in specialty food stores. I use this paste also in soups and casseroles for that "kick")

Brown beef and onions over med-high heat in soup pot until cooked through and crumbly. I use a wooden spoon to break up the meat so it isn't left in chunks, that's Jackie's request from many years ago. Drain and wipe out your pot with a paper towel. Return to pan and add the remaining ingredients, stirring well. Cook over medium heat until it boils, then lower heat to low so it will simmer with the lid on. In an ideal situation, cook over low heat for 4 hours, but 45 minutes will do. This recipe also is better the next day. The two things I added to this recipe over the years, that I love, are the black beans and the chili paste. Freeze in plastic bags when it's cooled to room temperature. You can freeze for 3 months.

Frito Chili Pie

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. In a 2 quart casserole dish, spray with cooking spray and over bottom of dish with Frito's. You can use Scoops or regular Frito's. Put thawed chili over Frito's and top with shredded cheddar and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly around the edges.

We had a marshmellow roast for smores last night...lots of fun in the snow and ice we've had all weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment