Image Map

Homemade Donuts

Sunday, January 31, 2010






Sunday, January 31, 2010

My mother started this tradition in my hometown of Oklahoma City about 30 years ago (I can't believe I just said that, I hate talking about my age). I love this quick breakfast that Chloe asks for every now and then on a Wednesday before school. It's basically a biscuit you put a hole in and fry up in a pan, using a fry daddy makes life much easier though. I like a choice of topping of either Cinnamon and sugar or icing which is powdered sugar with a dab of milk. Having this every now and then makes breakfast exciting. A year ago when Counts Louise and Shanks and the kids spent the night, I made this and he reminisced about growing up with these donuts. It brings back good memories.

Homemade Donuts

1 package plain donuts (don't use Grands and I usually buy the 5 count sleeve)
Fry Daddy

Icing
1/2 C. powdered sugar
1 T. milk, I use 1% or skim

I wing it here, just eyeball some sugar and throw a little milk in at a time, you can get it way too thin if you put too much milk in, then you have to keep adding powdered sugar.

Cinnamon and Sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. Cinnamon

I really wing it here too, I'm not sure about the measurements, I do have more sugar then Cinnamon.

Plug in Fry Daddy (I always use Canola Oil) and preheat 5 minutes. To test that the grease is hot enough, I pinch some of a biscuit and flick it in the grease, when it rises to the top and grease is bubbling around it, you can start to cook the biscuits. I only cook 2-3 at a time because it will cool down your grease temperature if you put a ton in. Flip when brown on one side then drain on paper towels.

Ice or put in Cinnamon mixture immediately, the topping sticks better when it's warm when you top it.

We had Whit and Stella over last night and Chloe and I shared our morning tradition with them, we love the sunrise (and sunset for that matter). And Chloe's "little brother", Biscuit, loves a piece of donut and is usually sitting around waiting on one and he was this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment