Image Map

Mushroom Ragout with Creamy Polenta, Birdeye

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Kara did the unthinkable recently...she asked me to make
deviled eggs for a party at her house.  These are
eggs from Harmon and Jeanie's chickens, Kristi Renfro
(next door) and my chickens.   I survived but I'm going to
let someone else make the eggs next time.  It was an all day
affair to say the least....I've done them before but never
this many to peel at one time, note to self...:)

Chloe's new baby chicks from
Grandad and MeMaw for her
13th birthday.  They are adorable
and Jackie's reported to me that
there's supposed to be a rooster
in there.  He and Chloe want to
raise some Salmon Faverolle
chickens...no one asked me about
breeding chickens so they're on
their own, just saying :)
Wednesday, May 7, 2014

WOW!! I had a couple portobello mushrooms that needed to be used so I moseyed on over to my Southern Living Farmer's Market Cookbook and found this recipe.  I had most of the rest of the ingredients on hand (yay me).  It was ready to serve within 15 minutes.  I'm going to have to make this again and soon I say!  It's really hard to get a decent photo of a mushroom dish and the reason I didn't put one on here.

Mushroom Ragout, Southern Living Farmer's Market Cookbook

1/2 C. diced shallot (I substituted a finely chopped red onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. olive oil
2-8 oz. sliced portobello mushrooms
2-3.5 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (I didn't have so I skipped it)
1/2 C. port wine (I used red wine)
1 C. chicken broth (I used bouillon cubes)
1/4 C. fresh parsley, chopped (it added a nice, earthiness to the ragout, use fresh if you have it)
2 T. butter (I used 1 T)
1 T. fresh thyme (I used 1/2 t. dried thyme)
salt and pepper to taste

Saute shallots and garlic in hot oil in large skillet over medium heat 2 minutes.  Increase heat to medium-high, add mushrooms and cook stirring constantly, 4-5 minutes.  Stir in wine and let reduce 2 minutes.  Stir in broth and remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Serve over polenta with shaved Parmesan cheese.  Garnish with fresh thyme.  Yield: 6 servings.

Creamy Polenta (serves 6)

7 C. chicken broth, divided
2 C. polenta (that's cornmeal people)
1 8 oz. package light cream cheese

Bring 6 cups chicken broth to a light boil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat and stir in polenta.  Reduce heat to low and cook while stirring constantly until it thickens, do not boil (it will splatter).  Stir in cream cheese until blended, add remaining broth.  Cover and keep warm.

I love this recipe and is ready lickety split.  And great for leftovers too.  :)
On Thursday, we went to Jonesboro for the Arkansas Bike
and Ped Plan put on by the Arkansas Highway and Transportation
Department.  The public meeting was to improve the roads
in Northeast Arkansas for cyclists and pedestrians.  I told
them about the petition I started in 2013 to add a shoulder
to Hwy 163, the Bay Road, from Levesque to Jonesboro
Chloe's photography is pretty good :)

Another great shot

Dr. Calico and Essie Mae's fight club (which happens on a
daily basis.  She starts it every time)

Gummy up close...that looks like a 6 foot tongue

No comments:

Post a Comment