Image Map

Enchiladas Rojas, Sunday, Sept. 13, 2009

Monday, September 14, 2009


Cooking in Birdeye

One lazy Sunday I pulled out one of my favorite recipes from Fresh, the cookbook from Lake Austin Spa. This is a fabulous recipe that takes literally 10 minutes to get in the oven and just 10 minutes to cook. Now that's my type of cooking.

1 T. canola oil
3/4 c. minced onion, I've used white and red and I grate mine
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 c. tomato juice, I used canned tomato sauce
2 t. adobo pasted from canned chipolte chilies, this is found in the Mexican food isle and is the bomb.com in this recipe
2 t. brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
12 corn tortillas
2 C. shredded chicken breast or 2 c. shredded Chihuahua or reduced fat white Cheddar cheese, I cooked a chicken breast in the microwave and seasoned it with Chicago steak seasoning (yes, weird, but it was great), and used goat cheese. I used half chicken and half goat cheese in each enchilada
3 c. shredded lettuce, I used arugula out of the garden
3 radishes shredded, I skipped this
1/2 c. finely sliced onion, I used the rest of that red or white onion
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
1 t. olive oil
2 t. cider vinegar
1/2 c. feta cheese

Heat the canola oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until soft. Add the garlic and saute for a few seconds. Add the tomato juice, adobo paste, brown sugar and salt. Simmer until the mixture is reduced to a sauce consistency, stirring occasionally. Soften the tortillas by microwaving them on damp paper towels. They should be very pliant. Fill tortillas with chicken and cheese and roll tightly and place, seam-side down, in a baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle additional cheese over top, I didn't. Bake at 400 degrees and for 10 minutes. Combine the remaining ingredients except the cheese and toss to mix. Place 2 enchiladas on a plate and top with equal poritons of slaw and feta cheese.

Serve with black beans seasoned with cumin, onion, garlic, cilantro and I add jalapenos. This is wonderful leftover too.

The photo is of Chloe and Sonyador, her 3 year old quarter horse cross. She and Sonya are a little green to ride this summer but I hope with age and confidence they'll make a good pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment