Image Map

Grilled Chicken Cuban Sandwich

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday, September 27, 2009

On this beautiful Sunday after church I decided to grill chicken for lunch with a recipe I've had from Williams Sonoma for years. This recipe is super easy and is ready to eat in about an hour. Today I served Two Cheese Grits with it, crazy I know, but they were good nonetheless.

Grilled Chicken Cuban Sandwich (serves 4)

For the marinade and mayo:
2/3 C. mayo, I always use lite
1 T. Dijon mustard
Juice of one lime
Grated zest of one lime
1 garlic clove, minced, I always use 2-3
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

4 boneless chicken breast halves, lightly pounded out to an even thickness, I never do that
4 slices ham or turkey, I never add this
4 slices Swiss cheese, I used Muenster today
4 oblong soft sandwich rolls, I used small hamburger buns today
Sweet pickle slices for serving, I hate sweet pickles and bring out the Claussen
Sliced tomato and romaine lettuce from the garden I always add instead of grilling the sandwich as this recipe calls for.

To make the marinade, in a small bowl, whisk together ingredients reserving about 1/4 C. for the sandwich and refrigerate. Transfer the remaining marinade in a shallow dish and marinate 1 hour. I only marinate for 30 minutes while the grill is getting ready.

Lightly oil rack to prevent sticking and grill, turning once, until chicken breasts feel firm and juices run clear. About 10-12 minutes total. It says on the last 1-2 minutes of cooking to add the Ham and cheese so it melts. But I don't do this.

I never do this step but here it is: Meanwhile, spread the buns with the reserved mayonnaise mixture and fill rolls with the chicken breasts. Press the sandwich together firmly and return to the grill and cook turning once, until the rolls are lightly toasted, about 2 minutes per side. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve hot.

I served this sandwich with grits today but usually just Lays potato chips are perfect with a dill pickle. I generally only grill two chicken breasts and sometimes only eat a half of one and refrigerate the remaining chicken for a salad later in the week.

Two Cheese Grits (serves 4)

4 C. salted water
1 C. quick cooking grits
1 C. cheddar cheese, I used Colby jack
1/2 C. grated Parmesan
2 T. butter
Salt and pepper

Bring salted water to boil and stir in grits. Cover and cook at medium low for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Very easy and is great for later in the week too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment