Image Map

Javier's, Dallas

Saturday, February 27, 2010


Saturday, February 27, 2010

After a wonderful baby shower, Leigh Anne invited her hostesses to join us for dinner at this authentic Mexican restaurant located on the edge of Highland Park. Eight of us were seated in the rear of the restaurant. We had a great waiter, Roger, that kept our water full and chips and salsa replenished. It was so tempting to dig into the chips and salsa, but I just couldn't because I gave chips for Lent, dang it. They also served butter, red salsa and a green salsa. Everyone loved it. Luckily I was seated next to Jacqueline. She and I met about 8 years ago when I flew to Phoenix for a girls weekend when Leigh Anne had a work trip scheduled and brought us two along. That was a great weekend, I love Phoenix.

Anywho, Javier's prides itself in being authentic Mexico City cuisine, not Tex-Mex. You'll notice this on the menu of featuring entree choices like the Filete Cantinflas, this is a steak filled with Chihuahua cheese and seasoned butter, topped with a mild chile mulatto and sliced avocado served with rice and black beans. This entree was talked about after the baby shower because everyone was thrilled about going to Javier's for dinner. I was thinking where in the world are we going that serves a steak full of cheese and butter...Leigh Anne ordered this and gave me a taste of it, and it was divine. In fact, I was sorry I didn't order it even though I don't eat a lot of meat. I ordered the Red Snapper Mojo De Ajo which is sauteed in special garlic and lemon sauce served with two vegetables of the day. I skipped the veggies and asked for a side of the rice and black beans. It was really, really good. I loved the fish, it was very delicate.

No dessert for us, just fun sitting next to a table of I'd say, 30 plus men and daughters from the SMU Pi Phi dad's weekend. At first we all commented that those young girls couldn't be their wives, but we were in Dallas, so who knows. Jacqueline and Jennifer were next to me near this large table. They made comments to them when the waiter brought two shots of something to everyone. One older man gave Jacqueline and Jennifer his shot, it was tequila followed by a shot of bloody mary mix. They joined the fun and were invited to go with the group to a wine bar not once, but twice. They didn't crash the dad's weekend fun but they enjoyed the invite.

Ahh Javier's, it's been in business since 1977 and is sure to deliver good service, authentic mexicano food and a fun time. I hope to be back next time I'm in big D, maybe when Rofonzo Haugh is born in April....

Javier's Gourmet Mexicano, 4912 Cole Ave., Dallas, TX, 212-521-4211 www.javiers.net

No comments:

Post a Comment