Image Map

Thanksgiving at Mom's, Edmond

Monday, November 29, 2010

Mother's Dinner Table

I had to take this photo under the kid's table with everyones' feet

Kathy's Corn Casserole (recipe follows)

Erin, Corie, Chloe and Audrey


Mom had her buffet set up in her tv room

Mom's new, updated kitchen, that's Aunt Barbara

After lunch, Chloe and Audrey played dress up
(way too much makeup!)

One of the 6 clothes changes
 (they did a passing through the living room)

Edmond's Turkey Trot 5K, Jackie and I braved the 30 degree and high wind morning...burr...I set a near personal best trying to get back in the car...lol!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

I was glad that this year I got to go home for Thanksgiving and bring Chloe to see all her Oklahoma relatives and cousins.  Mother is a master of cooking and planning and had our Thanksgiving feast rolling and dolled out to everyone that showed up.  Luckily she took my advice this year and ordered a cooked turkey.  Jackie suggested this two weeks ago when he heard an ad for our favorite BBQ restaurant in Memphis.  I told mom to order one up to take the heat off and it was an excellent and tasty decision.
Mom had Jackie, Chloe and I set the tables for our 15 people.  My cousin Krista was in charge of her delicious Broccoli Casserole, I did the green bean, Mom did the smart thing and bought frozen mashed potatoes then cooked them and added butter and milk (what a great short cut), she also had croissants, her legendary Spinach Salad, Barbara made her dressing that we had to wait 20 minutes on, Kathy made her Corn, recipe follows, and plenty of olives and the like.  (It does seem like I'm forgetting mentioning one of the many delicious dishes....)  We finally ate at about 1:30 and it was great!  We all enjoyed the three desserts Barbara brought which were chocolate pie, rum cake and a pumpkin pie.  But I have to confess this diabetic didn't have any desserts.  I just enjoyed my one, large plate of food, and it was wonderful!

We had a great time watching Chloe and Audrey's fashion show after lunch.  They loved getting makeup on and strutting around in heels and necklaces.  They were so cute.  We had a fun and heated spades game that lasted for two rounds during that pitiful Cowboys game.  It was my cousin Krista and me against legendary card cheaters my brother Craig and Jackie.  It got loud and unruly at times but full of laughter and accusations of cheating.  Fun times even though they beat us twice.  We repeated the game the next day in Weatherford with Kathy sitting in for Krista.  Luckily, she and I whooped the boys and we enjoyed every minute of it.

BTW, Jackie and I brought our mountain bikes because mom lives within a mile of Lake Arcadia and they have a 9 mile rough course called Spring Creek.  We rode bikes Wednesday and Saturday.  

Thanksgiving is always a great time, some more memorable weeks than others, but this year was a ton of fun.  Jackie especially likes the OU/OSU game.  He made the comment that this year he'd been on his most favorite football campuses, Ole Miss, Fayetteville and OSU.  We're hoping that this year we will get to go to the Sugar Bowl if the Hogs make it there.  That will be fun!  Mom did a great job on all the meals all week and did a great job once again on Thanksgiving.  There were lots of leftovers which is a blessing in my book.

Kathy's Corn Casserole

2 bags white/yellow frozen corn, thawed
1 8 oz package cream cheese, chopped up
1 stick butter, chopped up
1/2 c. milk
Salt and pepper

Spray a crock pot with Pam and cook over low for 4 hours.  Kathy said you can also bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  My note is I think you can use lite cream cheese, skim milk and half that butter, just sayin...

Jackie had us entered in the Edmond Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving morning.  We had planned on taking Chloe with us but it was 30 degrees that morning.  We left mom's about 7:15 to get our timing chip and get situated.  There were 700 runners for their first event, amazing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment