Image Map

Pueblo Pork and Red Bean Chili

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Winnie Bob's Weeping Cherry Tree in winter

For the first time EVER, I pulled a "Food Network", I measured out everything in little bowls before starting the recipe and it was a great thing, I plan to do this again, it really helped with clean up and time.

My mouth's watering right now...the key to this chili really is the cilantro, diced red onion and avocado...delish!

Chloe with Whit and Stella during the Birdeye Blizzard,
we got 4 inches and school was in the next day, amazing!
Friday, January 21, 2011

I shouldn't admit that I spent a couple hours reading cookbooks and watching Food Network today looking for a recipe to cook the pork tenderloin I bought on sale a few months ago.  It was a toss up between Sweet and Sour Pork or this great recipe for chili out of my favorite cookbook, Fresh.  Jackie had a different take on the recipe.  He said, "I like chili the old way.  You don't mess with a good thing."  I blasted back that that's like saying not to change my cotton socks to his new smart wool socks that he raves about being able to wear them for a week and not stink (which he does all the time).  Anyhow, we both liked this recipe, Jackie not as much as me, and I'm excited about the amount it made so I can pull it back out in a few months and we can rehash our smart wool comparison.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Terry Conlan is a genius!  Kara is going to Lake Austin Spa in March....I'm gonna have to see if I can make it happen and try to meet him...we'll see.

Pueblo Pork and Red Bean Chili, Terry Conlan

"Many macho Texas "chili heads" insist that the real thing must be made with beef, and lots of it and no beans.  Just sear up a couple pounds of steer, throw in some onions, a bunch of chili powder, water and tomatoes and let 'er rip.  In New Mexico, however, pork is at least as likely to be the meat of choice and beans are welcome.  Using leaner cuts, like the loin, can produce a steaming bowl of red that sticks to the ribs and satisfies while keeping the fat and meat intake at reasonable levels.  A little bit of crisped, natural bacon provides a lot of flavor and not as much fat as you might think (1-1/4 grams per serving.)  The coffee rounds everything out with a slightly bitter, toasty undercurrent that plays against the sweetness of the tomatoes and pork.  Score one for the neighbors."

4 slices all natural, nitrate free bacon (I used regular bacon)
4 t. olive oil
24 ounces pork loin, trimmed and cut into 3/4 inch cubes (I used a 27 oz loin and it should be cut into 1/2 inch or less pieces)
salt and pepper to taste
3 C. diced onion
2-3 serrano chiles, seeded and minced (I used 6 and left the seeds in)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 C. chili powder
1 T. ground cumin
2 t. oregano
1/4 t. cayenne
2 C. beef stock
1 C. coffee
1 C. water
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes with puree
6 C. cooked red beans (I used 2 cans light red kidney beans, 1 can chili beans and 1 can pinto beans all drained)
6 T. chopped red onion
1/4 C. chopped cilantro
1/4 C. diced avocado (I used a whole one)
8 lime wedges (I omitted this)

Cook the bacon in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until crisp.  Drain, blot dry and crumble; set aside. (I microwaved and drained on paper towels) Discard the grease from skillet and add 1/2 the olive oil and return to medium-high heat.  Season the pork with salt and pepper and add to skillet and brown on all sides.  Remove the pork to a plate, cover and keep warm.  Add the remaining olive oil and onion to the skillet and saute until the onions turn golden.  Add the chilies and garlic, cook for 30 seconds stirring constantly.  Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds then add the stock, coffee, water tomatoes and pork.  Simmer until the pork is tender, add the beans and cook until heated through.  Taste and adjust the seasonings.  Serve garnished with red onion, cilantro, avocado and a lime wedge. 

Nutrients per serving Cal 453, Prot 36 gr, Carb 50 gr, Fat 9 gr, Sodium 451 mg.

I'm looking forward to reporting on this recipe when I bring it back out for round two.

No comments:

Post a Comment