Image Map

Chicken and Rice, Birdeye

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Notice I just topped with the half stick butter on top,
skipping half the fat called for in the recipe

The cover of this cookbook that I cherish for my New Year's Day
Hopping John, Lemon Squares and this recipe (and tons of others to try)
 Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I had planned to tell you guys about my favorite Italian recipe today (from Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich, who I discovered on PBS, during those breast feeding months with Chloe 8 years ago...tears...not yet!) so you'd think I wasn't some Southwestern, Terry Conlan freak that I am.  But after school, I told Chloe we'd make Lidia's Chicken Parmesan and she said and I quote, "Ughhh...what is that rice dish with the yummy (yes she said yummy) rice and white chicken?"  Well it is from a fabulous, local cookbook, Memories of an Arkansas Farm Family by the Otis Adams, Jr. Family right here in Cross County and just right up the road from Birdeye.  BTW (by the way), I love Otis and Glenda Adams, they are the nicest, most southern, local family you can get.  They are super, duper nice, involved in their community and just genuine all together.  I was given this cookbook as a wedding gift from Mary Anne and Norris Cruthirds (I think).  I served it tonight with asparagus and peas (I need some green people...)  So here it goes...

Easy Chicken N Rice

6 chicken breasts ( I use two, hormone free-organic breasts cut in half for 4 pieces)
1 can each: Cream of Chicken, Mushroom, Celery Soup
1 can water
1 stick margarine (who uses margarine?  that's some bad junk!  I use half a stick of unsalted butter)
1 big cup of uncooked rice (I use organic, basmati rice)

Mix and heat soups, water and half of margarine and add rice, cook for 20 minutes.  Lay chicken in a butter casserole dish skin up (I always, always use skinless and never butter, use non-stick cooking spray to cut fat and calories).   Pour in the rice mixture and the remaining margarine on chicken.  Bake at 325 1-1/2 hours, covered.

I just love the smell of our kitchen when making this Adams' classic.  You've gotta try it with a green salad out of the garden (when it's warmer!).

No comments:

Post a Comment