Image Map

Gingery Creamed Kale and Cabbage, Birdeye

Friday, January 11, 2013

Yes, it's that delicious I'm telling you....deliciousness!
Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Thank goodness for recipes on the web.  I found this one at Food&Wine by Marcus Samuelson, one of my favorite Food Network Chopped judges.  This recipe is so stinking easy and delicious that everyone should and must try it.  I just bought some kale and cabbage yesterday and couldn't believe the prices, 76 cents for one bunch of Kale and 50 cents for a green cabbage.  Kale is so good for you!  It has tons and tons of vitamins, see here: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/the-truth-about-kale

So here's this super easy recipe by Marcus Samuelson

Gingery Creamed Kale and Cabbage

"To balance the heartier dishes on his menu, Marcus Sameulsson stirred ginger and tumeric into this vegetable side dish to give it a kick, then added cream and buttermilk to smooth and soften the spicy flavors.  This easy recipe can be made well ahead of time and would be fantastic with any kind of feast-including Thanksgiving."

Salt
3 lbs. kale, tough stems discarded
1/4 c. plus 2 T vegetable oil, I used 3 T olive oil, duh!! :)
1 large white onion, coarsely chopped
1 lb. green cabbage, coarsely shredded
1-1/2 T. finely grated fresh ginger
1/2 t. turmeric, I think a tablespoon would work
2 C. heavy cream, I used 2 cups 2% duh!
1 C. buttermilk

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt.  Add kale, cook till tender about 6 minutes, drain, cool and coarsely chop.
In a large pot, heat the oil and cook the onion of medium heat until softened, about 7 minutes.  Add the cabbage, ginger and turmeric and season with salt.  Cook over medium heat, stirring until the cabbage is wilted, about 5 minutes.  Add the cream, cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until the cream (or milk) has thickened.  Stir in the kale and season with salt and cook for 3 minutes, stirring a few times.  Remove from heat and stir in the buttermilk.  Bring to a simmer and serve (I let it get to hot and it curdled but it was still delicious.  So don't walk away at the end of the dish).

Make ahead:  The kale can be refrigerated overnight.  Reheat it gently and stir in the buttermilk shortly before serving.

RIP Zipper...somehow he got out with the dogs
unattended for an hour and was found
dead in the yard Friday when we got back
from my step-mother's funeral in Blackburn,OK.
Chloe cried big time all the way home from Searcy
when we got the dreaded call....
It's been a very, very tough week.  We don't
know if it was an owl, big tomcat we saw in
the yard or our beloved dogs....he will be missed.
oh the tears dang it :(.....I missed my favorite
race in all the land, the 8 mile hill and dale because
I couldn't leave Chloe alone...and I missed our
annual Smith Staycation that night at Alexis' house....
I peeled myself out of bed Sunday for church,
I'm so glad I went but I was not short of tears...
This is super easy and low fat the way I made it.  And for the record, it reheats beautifully and tastes great.  I don't blog much about my love of leftovers, this one is a great example of reheating vegetables! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment