Image Map

Slow roasted tomatoes, Birdeye

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Just before gettin them in the oven...makes the house smell
fresh and wonderful!

These are the beauties from the Walker's...I don't roast those
green ones, they will ripen on my counter top in a few days
Wednesday, October 26, 2011

We've been blessed with tomatoes here in Cross County from the Walker's, who live right down the road from me.  I buy tomatoes for $5, look at all of them!  When I have too many at one time, I'll slow roast them in the oven.  I use them for breakfast with egg whites and tobasco.  It's delish, quick and super low-fat.  I also use them on sandwiches (after you get the water out) and it adds a fresh component to any sandwich.  Here's how I roast them:

8 tomatoes, cut in half and seeded
Equal amounts of sugar, salt and fresh ground pepper
Dash of Olive Oil

Get tomatoes on a jelly roll pan.  Add seasonings then the olive oil.  Roast for 2 hours on 200 degrees.  Let cool and store.  There will be a ton of water in the pan even though you've seeded them.  Tomatoes are 93% water, isn't nature amazing?!  These tomatoes will keep refrigerated for a week.  Enjoy!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment