Image Map

Chimayo Tortilla Stack, Birdeye

Thursday, August 30, 2012


I loved getting a shot of one of the ladies...we're all waiting
on Hurricane Isaac to bring much needed rain.  But I hear
that the farmers don't need a rain right now....
Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Fresh, Lake Austin Spa Cookbook, by Terry Conlan.  I had to wait until I had a butternut squash available to make this one.  And lemme tell you how AWESOME and easy and FRESH this one is!  And makes for excellent left overs too as I had tonight... while Jackie watches Vanderbilt Football.  He's a genius that Terry Conlan, a genius!

1 C. diced butternut squash, cooked
1 C. red beans, canned, cooked and drained
1/2 C. each frozen Lima beans, cooked and frozen corn, cooked  (I used black beans, I didn't have Limas)
2 T. pimentos, I skipped this
1/2 C. reduced fat cheddar cheese, I used regular
2 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, I used 4 oz. because I was outta goat cheese
2 oz. reduced fat goat cheese
12 corn tortillas

Combine the squash, beans, corn and pimentos in a ball.  Mix the cheeses in a separate bowl.  Spread cheese mixture on her of 6 tortillas.  Top the tortillas with the vegetable mixture and cover with tortillas.  Arrange tortillas on a baking sheet and cover with foil (I didn't do this, so it made them crispy which is fine).  Bake at 350 degrees just until the cheese melts.  Serve with Red Chile Sauce and scoop of light sour cream.

The Red Chile New Mexico Sauce

6 dried New Mexico Chiles, I used a bag variety from Hay's of Guadalajara chiles and they did fine
1 small onion, thickly sliced, I used 8 green onions instead
4 Roma tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. oregano leaves
1/4 C. tomato juice, I used tomato sauce
2 T. masa harina de maiz
2 C. vegetable stock, I used chicken stock
1/2 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped, I used nestle chocolate chips
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. salt

Lightly toast the childes in a dry skillet over medium heat for a few minutes, turning often (I kinda didn't turn so much and kinda burnt mine so be careful).  Remove and discard the stem and place in a bowl and cover with hot water, set aside for 30 minutes.  Drain and reserve.  Spray the onion, tomato and garlic lightly with cooking spray and arrange on a baking sheet and roast at 375 for 20 minutes.  Toast the cumin and oregano in a dry skillet for 30 seconds.  Combine the reserved chiles, onion, tomato, cumin and oregano in a blender and puree.  Combine the puree, tomato juice, flour, stock, chocolate in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until thickened and smooth, stirring constantly.  Strain and keep warm (I didn't strain and didn't need to either).  Yield: 6 servings.

Nutrition facts per serving: 323 cal, 14 gr protein, 53 gr carbohydrate, 8 grams fat (more since I didn't used reduced fat cheese) Sodium 510 mg.

This is Gumball's brother Max, who lives down the street...
Chloe's been dog sitting now for a while, she gets $10 a day!


Tu Jague, the near 14 year old, is still hanging
on even though he is in early stage kidney failure

Biscuit is banned from the bar stools and look where I found him....
The squash is fabulous in this recipe
The delicious Red Chile puree before the chocolate and
cinnamon....it was awesome and I froze the extra for another
round down the road....
Guadalajara Chiles

Before going into the oven...



Delicious I tell ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment