Image Map

Chili, Birdeye

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The only shot I got yesterday of the Chili....Notice I did
open them there homemade, pickled japs that Jackie helped
me with...they are SPICY and I love it! :)

Whit's 8th birfday partee yesterday...CoCo's down front in
the middle with those long legs as Dorothy!
Back row (that I can recognize) Whit, Tom B Smith (as
Michael Myers from Halloween), Eli Boone, don't know, don't
know, Austin Boone, don't know, Trevor Boone, Sol Jackson,
Linton Bradshaw.  Front row: August, Stella, Clairah Creighton,
Coco, Katie Bradshaw, Peyton Sisk, Rose Jackson and the
fabulous Julia Shepherd as Pocahontas.  What a great partee!
Sunday, October 28, 2012

I cannot believe I haven't shared with you all my chili recipe that I've been working on perfecting now for 19 years.  Jackie loves some hearty, simple chili when the weather cools and this is a perfect day for chili.  I finally MADE myself turn the heat on last night as we had a low of 40 degrees, yes, we've been roughing it lately at night with sweatshirts but there's really no reason yet, except for last night, to have the heat on.

Okay, here's my recipe for chili that I think I have perfected for Jackie:

Chili

1 lb. ground beef (Lately I cut this in half and use 80 % lean to cut calories and fat)
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
2-16 oz. cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1-16 oz. tomato sauce
1-16 oz. can kidney beans, drained (you can use any bean really)
1/4 C. Vinegar
3 oz. can diced green chiles
1/4 C. diced jalapenos (skip if you're worried about the heat)
1/4 t. Tabasco (skip if you're worried about the heat)
1.4 t. cayenne (skip for the heat)
few red pepper flakes
1/2 t. ground oregano
2 T. chili powder

Brown meat, onion and garlic in a dutch over until browned over med-high heat stirring constantly.  Drain and wipe out bottom of pan with paper towels.  Return to pan and add remaining ingredients and bring to boil, turn down to med low and cover for 2-3 hours (you can do it in about 1 hour but the longer the better).

Serve with saltines or Fritos.  Or like my mom and step-dad do, add sour cream and cheese over top, I don't because of calories. You might wanna serve with some milk if it's too spicy, lol! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment