Image Map

Eggplant Rollatini, Birdeye

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Monday, Oct. 15, 2012

Mr Scott gave me a ton of eggplant last week and I found this delicious and easy recipe for baked eggplant with mozzarella and fresh tomato sauce.  I added some photos from last week's photography session too for an added treat for my mom and grandmother who keep up with us.

Ok, Eggplant Rollatini from Allrecipes.com:

1 Eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise
I used 4 Chinese eggplants, btw.
1 egg beaten
1 C. Italian seasoned bread crumbs, I added
some fresh parsley and Italian seasoning
2 T. olive oil, that's not enough
1 C. ricotta, I used fresh mozzarella
10 slices prosciutto, I omitted this
1 jar spaghetti sauce, I made my own, see below
how easy it is
2 C. shredded mozzarella, I used fresh
1 lb angel hair, I used spaghetti

Dip eggplant in egg then bread crumbs and fry in electric skillet over medium high heat.  Fry on each side until golden brown and drain on paper towels.  Preheat oven to 350.

Spread a thin layer of ricotta on each slice of eggplant and prosciutto on top (I omitted that and used fresh moz instead) and roll up tightly and place seam side down in a 9X13 pan.  Pour spaghetti sauce over the rolls and top with shredded mozzarella.  (I split the recipe into two baking dishes the size of meatloaf/banana bread so I'd have another recipe later on and used fresh mozzarella, duh!).

Bake for 15 minutes.  Bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.  Serve eggplant rolls and sauce over pasta.  See below the easiest sauce recipe in the world:

From Lidia Matticchio Bastianich's cookbook page 267 of Chicken Parmigiana, New Style

For the sauce:
1/4 C. extra virgin olive oil, that's too much, I use maybe 3 T.
6 cloves garlic, peeled, don't be shy you need 6 big ones
8 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped, don't sweat the seeded and peels, it's just as good if you leave them on (for the rollatini you'll wanna double the recipe as I did so you'll have enough dipping sauce when you plate it)
1/4 C. fresh basil shredded, this is key and I loved gettin it outta the garden I tell you.

Heat 3 T olive oil on medium heat.  Whack the garlic with the side of a knife and drop them into the oil  and cook, shaking the pan until golden brown about 2 minutes.  Carefully add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper and cook until lightly thickened about 10 minutes.  Remove and set aside.  Add the basil and taste for more salt and pepper if needed.

Delish I tell you.  Jackie made so many great comments on it that I cannot wait to make it again when I have a harvest of eggplant.  I'd love to hear your comments.


We took Chloe to Mud Island to see the Avett Brothers,
the place was more packed than I've ever seen it.

I thought the Hernando DeSoto Bridge was beautiful!

It maybe blurry but it's proof of a packed Mud Island...
we've seen Harry Connick and Sheryl Crow there and it
wasn't this packed, I was amazed at the crowd the band had!

CoCo was a trooper, it was a big day Friday,
she had an excellent piano recital and then
we came home to a house without Tujague.
But we had a great time even tho we had to wait
forever for Jackie to get outta the concert, she
had a soccer game and I had to work the next day!


I took some snapshots of Chloe after Kara's
Christmas card session last week....yep,
she's growin up.

Coco with August, Stella and Whit

August loves to be carried...they are all so so
swweettt!!!!
Mr Scott had the long, skinny Chinese eggplant
that worked just as well in this recipe

For the sauce, I made Lidia Bastianich's
sauce, it's so easy and super good with
all the tomatoes we had..look at all the basil!

I'm gonna be so sad when the tomatoes quit producing..

No comments:

Post a Comment