Image Map

Cherry Pie and Christmas, Birdeye

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Birdeye Christmas Party at Martin and Kara's a few weeks ago
These are the cousins: Back row: Stephen Shanks, Martin,
Benton Smith, Beth Huff, Matt Boone, Jeff Renfro; Third
row: Kara, Alexis Smith, Sam Stacy, Lee Quessenberry,
Kristie Renfro; Second Row: Julie Boone, me, Cade Martin,
Sarah Jane Martin, Michael Quessenberry, Catherine Dalton;
Front row: Counts Louise Shanks, me, Jessica Stacy, Beth
Bradshaw and Lee's wife

Oh la la...the deliciousness...Homemade Cherry Pie

You can see the different cherries I had...2 cans pie
filling with a cup of frozen sweet cherries (the dark ones)

Christmas at Memaw and Grandad's was a ton of fun...

Here are the cousins at Jimmy and Beth Huff's
Christmas Eve party....August, Eli Boone, Austin Boone (behind)
Whit, Trevor Boone (front), CoCo and Stella

Biscuit sure did enjoy Christmas...so did Gumball...

Mother and Gary sent Chloe a ton of
white boards and dry erase markers...she loves them!

The Zipper had a good Christmas too...here he is about
to pounce on a remote controlled mouse....

Chloe wrapped up a ton of stuff for our four legged family
members....

Santa brought Chloe a wagon to haul her dogs
in behind her bike...Gumball hopped right in

The white boards were a hit....

Santa also brought CoCo some cats that she
LOVED!

And we got 3 inches of snow at midnight...

Crazy blogger...here are some of the girls at Kara and I's party...
Sara Burrow, Emily Neller, Counts Louise, me, Kara, Alexis
Beth Huff and shoe winner Cecelia Killough
Merry Christmas from Birdeye and Happy Boxing Day!

Man it's been a busy month!  I thought I'd share this really good recipe for cherry pie I found!  I must confess here, on this here blog, that in the past, the past I tell you, I have opened up canned
cherries and thrown them into the dough, baked the pie and called it a cherry pie.  Well ya'll know that's no way to make a cherry pie right?  And I've found a great, super easy way to make pie that is not out of a can, so to speak.  I made this for Jeanie and Harmon's annual Christmas dinner where we exchange gifts before Kara and my parents arrive.  I think it was deliciousness for sure.  I've added some Birdeye Christmas Party pics, Christmas Eve and Day pics to show where we've been!

Cherry Pie from the joyofbaking.com

Pie Crust (I bought the dough, yes, yes I did, I didn't have time to do the homemade dough because Kara, Beth and I went on a bike ride Saturday, then Kara and I went to Memphis to see Becca and Neall's new, precious baby boy Dean on his birthday and then on to Christmas at Memaw and Grandad's, whew, a busy day for sure!) I used refrigerated dough, you need 2 doughs for this pie.

Cherry Filling:

4 C. pitted, sweet or tart frozen cherries (can also use 4 C. canned or bottled cherries, drained with 1/3 c. juice reserved) I used 1 C. sweet frozen cherries thawed with 3 C. canned, drained cherries
3/4 C. white sugar
2-1/2 T. quick cooking tapioca (I only had regular so I used cornstarch as a substitute and it worked beautifully)
1/8 t. salt
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. Kirsch or 1/4 t. almond extract, I used almond
2 T. butter, diced

Make the Cherry Filling:  Place the cherries in a large bowl add the sugar, tapioca (corn starch), salt, lemon juice, vanilla and almond extract and gently toss to combine.  Let sit for 10-15 minutes (if using bottled cherries, add the juice but I used canned so it's not really separable) and then pour into the pastry shell.  Lightly brush rim of the pastry shell unbaked with egg wash (egg wash is an egg and 1-2 T. water whisked).  Top with the second refrigerated dough that has been sliced thinly with a knife over the pie like a lattice (the original recipe on the website says to make 20 stars out of the dough but I didn't have the time).  Sprinkle with granulated sugar.  Bake the pie for 15 minutes at 425 then reduce the temperature to 350 for about 25-30 minutes or until the pie bubbles.  If the edges are browning too much, cover with a foil ring (I did this from the beginning and it took 35 minutes to bake, bubble and brown).  Let the pie cool for several hours and store 2-3 days at room temperature.

That was such a good, stinking cherry pie.  I tell ya it's the extract, the vanilla and the frozen cherries.  Next year I'll try and mix the cherries up 3 ways for fun. I also served this here pie with ice cream, I forgot mine and thankfully Memaw had some to share.

Hug and kiss those babies tonight, be thankful for each and every loved one (the crazy ones too) and it's Jesus who's the reason for the season.  I am thankful for our health, Coco & Jackie, friends, family, a job I love, a wonderful loving church, a love of cooking, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, insulin and a roof over our head.  And I'm thankful for many, many more things I cannot think of at this moment, aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment