Image Map

Mushroom Enchiladas with Avocado/Tomatillo Salsa, Birdeye

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I substitued green tomatoes for tomatillos

Before the blender...

After the blending....:)

I warm tortillas in damp paper towels in the microwave

Keep the salsa to top on the enchiladas after they are cooked...

Oh my that Zipper....Chloe adopted this new
kitten that was left on the front porch at the
clinic last week....

He's spoiled already...just sayin....
Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Chloe was home sick yesterday with a fever and sore throat and she has an AP English paper due Friday...she didn't want to miss a day ...all you momma's out there know you can't send kids to school with fever cause then the whole school would be out...so we stayed home, worked on her AP English paper and I looked around and saw that I had the ingredients to make this recipe.

You saw all the leftover green tomatoes we had from a week ago and I researched that you can use them just like tomatillos and since I had avocados and cilantro, it made sense to make one of my favorite, easy, classy enchilada recipes from Fresh, Lake Austin Spa, Terry Conlan, a genius I want to meet and worship his southwest cooking someday...even though he's retired.

Here's how it goes:

Mushroom Enchiladas with Avacado/Tomatillo Salsa

"Believe it or not, mushrooms are very much a part of Mexican cuisine, and a very tasty filling for enchiladas too.  Topped with a cool and creamy sala and finished with a crunchy, colorful salad, they are just the boleta (ticket)  for your next summer fiesta".

The Salsa

1-1/2 cups fresh husked tomatillos, I used green tomatoes (no need to core or chop)
1/2 c. chopped onion, I used a leftover half red onion
2 garlic cloves, minced, I used 4
1 serrano chile, chopped, I used 3 jalapenos out of the garden
1/2 C. packed fresh cilantro
1/2 medium avocado peeled and seeded, I used the whole dang thang
1/4 t. salt, I accidentally put in 1 t. it was SALTY!
1/4 t. sugar
1/4 t. fresh lime juice

Combine the tomatillos, onion and garlic with enough water to cover in a large saucepan over medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Drain, reserving the liquid.  Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth thicken with the liquid if needed.  Chill the salsa until ready to serve.

The Enchiladas

1 t. olive oil
6 C. chopped fresh mushrooms, I used 3 large chicken breasts uncooked instead
1/2 C. diced onion
2 garlic cloves minced, I used 4
1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled and seeded, I used the 2 I had cause they needed to be used
2 T. cilantro
salt and pepper
3/4 C. shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese, I used colby jack regular
8 corn tortillas softened, I made 14 enchiladas
1 C. Avocado salsa
1/4 C. feta or queso fresco

The garnish
Thinly sliced onion
Thinly sliced radish
Shredded lettuce

Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.  Add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes then add the onion and garlic 2 minutes and mix well (I used 3 chopped chicken breasts and cooked in the onion and garlic till done) Then add the chile, cilantro, salt and pepper mix well.  Add the cheese and place equal amounts on each tortilla and roll enclosing the mixture seam side down in a covered baking dish (I spray with nonstick cooking spray).  Bake covered at 375 for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and place 2 enchiladas on each plate and top with salsa, 1 T. feta and garnish with sliced onion, radish and lettuce (I didn't have these toppings but I did add black beans topped with minced green onions).

Dang it I love these Enchiladas...I'm just sayin....:)

Nutrients for the mushroom enchiladas per serving: Cal 339, Prot 19 gr, Carbs 49 gr, Fat 15 gr.

No comments:

Post a Comment