Image Map

South on Main, Little Rock

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Chloe took this shot at 6:45 am.  She and Stella had a blast
making Imovies and hanging out at the Hampton Inn.  Here's
Bob, me, Kara and Polly

Dang it if many of my photos are blurry, but I love taking shots
over my shoulder.  That's Polly and Bob behind me on the
Two Rivers Park Bridge about 7:30 am

My selfie with my phone before the ride started, thank
goodness for overcast skies

Sunday school has started up and we go by and get
Julia and John B Shepherd and take them with us.  They
are so sweet and we love having them.

Two weeks ago Chloe and Anna Claire helped me work a
PTSA membership booth before the high school football game.
We did get a few memberships but the most popular thing about
our booth was that big ole basket of candy!  lol
Here's front: Kip Patterson, Will Hood, Anna Claire Dallas, Chloe
Back row I'm not sure who those girls are with Camille Cathey :)

Jackie and I've done the Cooper Young 4 Miler over in Memphis
the last 4 years.  It was another great, well run event.  I was
very surprised with my time of 38 minutes.  I don't run very often.
Here's Beth Bradshaw, me, Jackie and Stan Bradshaw

This cyclist was around after the Cooper Young 4 miler
and I had to get a photo of him :)
Monday, September 29, 2014

Kara, me, Mel and Jerry Harvey and Kara's parents Bob and Polly Hardin all rolled out for Big Dam Bridge 50 mile bike race last Saturday.  It's been a tradition for the Birdeye Bicycle Club to make this bike ride and with everyone's busy schedules, it was just the Harvey's, Kara and I.  It actually turned out to be one of our favorite rides in the several years we've done the Big Dam Bridge.  It started at 7 am from downtown Little Rock and went to Roland, Ark and back.  It was about 65 degrees and was shaded most of the way.  It got hot right as we got to Burns Park near the finish line.  We all took our sweet time mainly because we didn't have fast riders like Martin and Kyle with us.  Anytime we ride with someone pushing it, we all push it and I've had at least 3 bad Big Dam Bridge bike rides and like Bob said, "we've started out in the past really pushing it and it can make it miserable to finish".  He's right about that.  We all took our time but still averaged just under 14 mph.

This year we had many firsts at the Big Dam Bridge.  The event goes from LaHarpe and Chester to the Two Rivers Park Bridge, Pinnacle Mountain and to Roland and back to Big Dam Bridge and finishes in North Little Rock.  By the time we started, about 7:10 am, it was packed and finally thinning out.  It is a crowded place with 3200 riders, half of which actually did the century ride, which amazes me.  The first "first" was right before we crossed the Two Rivers Park Bridge, a lady collided with a deer.  I found via Facebook that she was still in the hospital with a broken collar bone.  YIKES.  It is amazing to think about getting hit by a deer on a bicycle.  Kyle said at church Sunday that it didn't surprise him and that it wasn't unheard of.  Interesting.  I've learned from personal experience that bike chasing dogs are a threat, especially pit bulls, and cars and nut case drivers are the worst hazard but I never thought about mixing it up with a deer.  Their sheer speed is scary.  The second first was a crash at the finish line.  I was so excited to have all stayed together in our pack during the bike ride that just before getting to the finish line, Kara and I were trying to get her parents at the finish line so we could get a photo all together.  Well, there was a sharp corner and Polly went down.  Amazingly, she didn't break a bone but was pretty skinned up.  A nice police officer saw the crash, came over and offered an ambulance, it was kinda a big crash.  We didn't need an ambulance, just Polly's chain put back on so we could finish the race.

The most important FIRST was the fact that Kara and I did the race without Jackie and Martino. Martin wasn't "feeling it" and Jackie was with his Vanderbilt alumni friends at the Vandy/Kentucky game.  We survived but they missed a darn good and cool race.

Now to this gem that Kara had reservations at.  South on Main is located on main street not far from where Juanita's used to be.  It's owned by my favorite literary magazine the Oxford American.  It sits next door.

From the South on Main Website: South on Main is a revolutionary cultural experience that includes a restaurant and performance venue featuring the best of Southern cuisine and culture. With a kitchen helmed by Chef Matthew Bell, the restaurant offers a sophisticated but unpretentious atmosphere and a creative and accessible menu. South on Main also presents programming related to the content of the Oxford American magazine, including musical performances, literary readings, film screenings, and other offerings, making it the place where the Oxford American goes "from the page to the stage." The venue's multi-discipline programming provides a forum for established and unknown artists to perform in front of an appreciative audience, providing a full culinary, artistic, and educational immersion in Southern culture.

The restaurant has a wonderful, local menu that we all enjoyed.  We also had a mighty fine waiter (name....I can't find my receipt but I'd love to share it.  Tall, thin, curly black hair and awesome).  They of course offer many dinner specials but I stayed in the carb up section which meant I picked the tillapia with a huge grit cake.  It was outstanding and the perfect size.  I also added an order of pickled beets as an appetizer (I know, I'm not an appetizer orderer but it was great).  Bob was talking about how he had bad leg cramps the year before and had been eating bananas all week.  I told him he needed some pickle juice so on that idea I ordered up the beets.  He didn't have leg cramps the next day and I'm sure it was the pickled beets.  I will confess I also ordered a side of french fries to share with everyone for that extra carb.

Chloe and Stella were with us and of course they ordered the chicken tenders and fries.  They wiped it out and it was really nice of the waiter to bring their food on out with our appetizers.  These two also ordered their famous donuts and let me just say, delicious!  Their donuts were just drops of batter  (kinda like donut holes) topped with a little sugar and cinnamon.  The taste I had was outstanding.  I did order dessert, yes I was a big pig that night.  I got one of the homemade peanut butter cookies that usually comes as an ice cream sandwich which Mel and Jerry ordered and shared and wiped out.  That cookie was rich and just what I needed.  This restaurant reminds me a lot of The Second Line in Memphis.

You'll love South on Main.  Be sure and bring your book light, it's incredibly dark in there and probably your readers too.  Check out their decor in the restaurant which are past covers of the Oxford American magazine.  (Parking was a breeze too which was nice)

South on Main, 1304 S. Main, Little Rock, 501-224-9660 http://southonmain.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment