Image Map

Cozette's Banana Bread

Saturday, November 14, 2009


Saturday, November 14, 2009

It's a rare Saturday that I'm not working, out-of-town or volunteering but today found Chloe and I in perfect unison. We woke up late, that's 7 am for us (my usual 5 am wake up was interrupted by the snooze), both ailing from allergies, we moved our slow selves into the living room. First thing I noticed in the kitchen were two bananas that needed rescue. With my broken hand still in a splint, I thought it would be smart to get some of my ritual Christmas cooking out of the way. My pace in the kitchen is down to a good 15 minute mile compared to my 10 minute mile when in good shape. Getting all the holiday stuff done make take forever this year.

I've tried at least a dozen Banana Bread recipes and nothing competes with Cozette Vaught's. She is, by far, the best cook in all of Cross County. She shared this recipe with me after a church potluck in 2003. You will have most all the ingredients on hand I'm sure.

1 stick butter, melted in a medium 2-1/2 qt saucepan, over low heat
1-1/2 C. flour
1-1/2 C. sugar
2 ripe bananas, mashed well with a fork. By ripe, I use mine when they are getting black, not rotten but definitely the skin is going dark.
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla, I use my homemade vanilla from Cozette's recipe, I'll share this soon
1 t. baking soda
4 T. buttermilk, you can use milk but the buttermilk is truly key in this recipe but milk does work, I've done that many of times
1/2 c. chopped walnuts, I've tried with pecans but walnuts are best, and are optional

Oven 325.

Melt butter in saucepan. Dissolve the soda in the buttermilk or milk and mix well. Add all ingredients very well making sure the flour is totally incorporated. Grease a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray or do three mini loaf pans. Large loaf pan, bake 1 hour, 15 minutes, bake the mini loaf pans, 50 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes then remove from pan and cool on baking rack.

This can be frozen up to 2 months and is fabulous as a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment