Image Map

Jackie's Black Bean Salsa, Birdeye

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The salsa

The pampering begins...

Biscuit patiently waits...wait, is he at the breakfast bar?  That's a yes...and it's against the rules...

It took us 30 minutes to get all four paws painted...good lord...

Biscuit did say that Chloe's homemade treat, the "pupcakes" were absolutely delicious!
Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Oh Boxing Day, Boxing Day.  Yes, it was this past Sunday, December 26.  After last year's horrible, detestable behavior, I swore I'd be in Memphis this year shopping.  I couldn't convince mother to go with me so I hung around and it was a very enjoyable party.  It was Jackie and Chloe's third party and the smallest crowd in its history.  A lot of people couldn't come due to Christmas gift openings and some didn't come because they didn't have a DD.  Yes, I am amazed too!  It was a great party nonetheless.  I'm sorry I didn't get photos of Boxing Day!

Yesterday Chloe and I opened one of mother's gifts, "Pamper your Pet" day spa kit.  We spent the morning giving Biscuit a bath and massage, painting his nails (good Lord) and making "pupcakes" for him.  It was a long day for the little fella but he made it, thank goodness.  See photos!

On Boxing Day, we had lots of food including Jackie's famous sausage, cheese and pickle platter with Rendezvous seasoning, Kara's excellent onion dip, my mother made wonderful tortilla roll-ups (that I need to publish) and I made this salsa from Jeanie's sister Jackie Boyd in Ponca City, Oklahoma.  It's super duper easy to make and keeps well in the refrigerator for later on.  BTW, I halved this recipe for the party and it made about 5 cups so a full making of it would make a ton!

Jackie's Black Bean Salsa

1 large bag frozen corn, thawed, I used one can drained
3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed, I used two cans
3 cans rotel, drained, I used one
1 red onion diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bunches cilantro, finely chopped, I used one handful
1 green pepper, diced, I skipped this and substituted 1/2 c. diced jalapenos
4-5 ripe avocados, diced, I used 3 and added the juice of 2 limes which the recipe doesn't call for to keep the avocado from browning
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 C. olive oil
1/4 C. red wine vinegar

Mix and can be refrigerated up to 3 hours before serving.  Serve with chips.  I served with Fritos Scoops and Tostitos.

No comments:

Post a Comment