Image Map

Chile Rellenos, Birdeye

Thursday, December 2, 2010

I found this on Amazon.com

Before baking...yum!


The Roasted Red Pepper Salsa (all these ingredients are still coming out of the garden, amazing so close to Thanksgiving)
Friday, November 19, 2010

Today I was caught up in the office and Chloe had a substitute, so we stayed home pulling out the Christmas boxes and cooking. Chloe and I did our usual Peanut Butter balls (see blog post from Dec. 2009).  After rescuing the two strays in our neighborhood, I headed for my favorite cookbook again.  This recipe came from Terry Conlan's first cookbook Lean Star Cuisine from Lake Austin Spa.  I love, love many recipes from this cookbook.  Terry's a "fresh" genius and I love southwest food so much.  I had just plucked about a dozen poblanos from my garden this morning and saw this recipe.  This was a first time making this one and I loved it.  Jackie said he could tolerate it, he's been thrown so many southwest recipes from Terry this year that he has become somewhat gun shy but at least he's not mean about it, thank goodness.  The Roasted Red Pepper Salsa is so easy to make, the recipe calls for it do be done on a charcoal grill but I just roast at 450 degrees in the oven.  I know it would taste even better over a grill but my oven worked just as well.

Chile Rellenos, Lean Star Cuisine, Terry Conlan

"Visually striking, with the dark green chile nestled in a robust red sauce; and absolutely delicious, with the mild cheese and sweetness of the raisins providing a perfect counterpoint to the piquancy of the pepper.  Serve simply, with black beans, freshly made corn tortillas and Mexican beer for a meal to be remembered.  And repeated."

4 large poblano chiles, I used 12 small from my garden
4 oz cooked rice, I used brown rice
4 oz. low fat cheddar cheese, shredded, I used regular cheddar
1T. golden raisins, I used regular raisins (notice in photo!)
1 T. chopped cilantro, I used 1/4 cup
vegetable cooking spray

Roast the chiles over an open flame until blackened.  Dip into ice water, then peel off outer skin.  Carefully slit down one side and remove seeds.  I roasted on 450 in the oven on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.

Combine all other ingredients and use to stuff the chiles.  Arrange the stuffed chiles on a baking pan sprayed with vegetable spray.

Bake chiles for 10-15 minutes at 400 until cheese melts.  Serve with Roasted Red Pepper Salsa in a wide soup bowl.  I also topped with cilantro and fresh chopped jalapenos.

Roasted Red Pepper Salsa

"Try this brick red, earthy Southwestern salsa over the eggplant enchiladas on page 151, under a chile relleno or with grilled meats or fish.  Charring the tomatoes, onion and pepper over an open flame gives this sauce its unmistakable, and enduring, rustic character."

Double this recipe for 2 cups which you'll need for either the Chile Rellons or enchiladas or for dipping like I do with tortilla chips.

2 tomatoes, charred
1 small onion, thickly sliced and charred
1 serrano pepper, halved and seeded and charred (or you can use 2 serranos and 2 japs and don't seed so it'll kick it up a notch)
1 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled and seeded, I used two small green today out of the garden
3 gloves garlic
2 T. cilantro, I used 1/4 c.
juice of 1/2 lime
1 t. ground cumin

To char in oven, put veggies on a cookie sheet sprayed with vegetable cooking spray and roast on 450 until skins are browned.  Let cool then slice and seed.

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.

Yield 2 cups.  (Terry's wrong on that, you have to double above to get 2 cups)

Holy Moly! I'm ready for some Mexican food!

No comments:

Post a Comment