Image Map

Italian-American Meat Sauce, Birdeye

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

This is a sauce that I absolutely love, I'm modifying it to fit what I have.  This recipe is from Lidia Matticchio Bastianich's cookbook, Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen.  It's one of my favorite cookbooks, right up there with Fresh.  This recipe is a cousin of her Bolognese sauce which is to die for.  This one is made with white wine and the Bolognese has red wine, carrots and celery.  They are similar but since Chloe requested last night for some pasta sauce with meat, this one is more 6th grader style, at least I think.  We've had both and I'll have to report if this one goes over well tonight.  I've added photos, as usual, of the garden, Chloe and everything else and fosters.  Have I said spay/neuter today?  It's such a great way to contribute to your community.

Italian-American Meat Sauce, page 144

Two 35 oz. cans Italian Plum tomatoes (I used 2 cans of crushed tomatoes)
1/4 C. extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions diced (2 cups)
6-8 gloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
5-6 pork neck bones (I skipped this)
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
salt
4 bay leaves
1-1/2 t. Italian or Greek oregano (I used fresh)
3/4 C. white wine
1/3 c. tomato paste
3-4 C. hot water ( I used 3 cups and is a must)

Pass the tomatoes and their liquid through a food mill fitted with a fine disc and set aside (You can skip this if you use crushed tomatoes). Heat the olive oil in a heavy 5 quart pot over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden about 8 minutes.  Make room in the center of the pot, dump in the garlic and cook stirring until the garlic is lightly browned about 2 minutes.  Add the pork bones and cook, lightly brown on all sides about 5 minutes (Skip obviously).  Add the ground beef and pork and season with salt.  Cook until the meat changes color and the water it gives of is boiled away, about 10 minutes.  Continue cooking until the meat is browned, about 5 minutes.  (I drain here but she doesn't) Add the bay leaves, oregano and wine.  Bring to a boil and cook, scraping up the brown bits that cling to the pot until the wine is almost completed evaporated.  Pour in the tomatoes and paste and stir until it is dissolved.  Season lightly with salt.  Bring to a boil and adjust the heat to a lively simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring often, until the sauce takes on a deep, brick red color, 2-3 hours.  Add the hot water 1/2 cup at a time, as necessary to maintain the level of liquid for the length of the time the sauces cooks.  Skim off any fat floating on top and adjust the seasoning.  The sauce can be prepared entirely in advance and refrigerated for up to 5 days and frozen for 3 months.
We had the West Birdeye cousins Sunday morning

Harmon has a ton of baby rabbits..
I think they are mini lops

Here is Tripod...the best momma
cat ever...She's keeping all 4 fat,
sassy and clean.  You can't beat that!

I got this photo via PAWS of Marion...Look at how Teddy's
grown...those are long legs making themselves at home
Ahh...I love the smell of cooking
garlic and onions
Okay people, these precious little guys are so sweet...
Chloe's named them Milo, Millie and Sketcher....they're about
4 weeks now...they'll be ready in 2 weeks then you'll have to
sign a contract that you'll bring them back in 2 months for
spay/neuter at no charge with a rabies vaccine.  Just kidding
about the contract but unless I know you, I'll need your
date of birth, social security number and your mother's maiden
name to let you keep one...a hand shake won't do.  Spay/neuter people!
The cucumbers are coming up..
Joy and I need several bushels
this July to pickle them...I hope these
make it...last year mine burnt up and
some kinda bug ate my squash
If you wanna rabbit, just lemme know!

If you could just smell that....deliciousness I tell ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment