Image Map

Mother's Sausage and Egg Casserole

Saturday, December 26, 2009


Boxing Day Party

Last year Chloe and Jackie started a tradition of celebrating Boxing Day. It's a tradition that originated in England and is celebrated like a bank holiday in Canada, Britain and Australia. It is a sporting tradition here in Birdeye where the soccer starts at 7 am featuring Liverpool and Fulham.

This was my first Boxing Day party and I was in charge of the food (I had to work last year Dec. 26). I had Cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, ham and cheese sandwiches, and my mom's sausage and egg casserole ready for the action. We served bloody mary's and mimosa's and thanks to Julie, who brought the Chardonnay, we sipped on it during the day. One thing I didn't account for was the party going for nearly 12 hours, yes I said 12 hours. Thankfully when Mark and Bobby arrived they brought fried chicken, what a relief. Then by noon when I could tell the party was continuing into the afternoon, I got out the Pancho's and whipped up a Rendezvous-style platter with Colby longhorn-style cheese, saltines, pickles and summer sausage sprinkled with dry rub. But still my favorite thing on this buffet was my mom's casserole. Thankfully we ran out of beer at 5:30 and the party was over and kids were loading up in their cars. It was a fun day but I think I'll try and be at work during the next one. Jackie turned up his stereo during the football game, fired off wisecracks, and bad behavior. I've decided I'll be going to Mendikow on Monday for those diamonds I didn't get from Santa.

I haven't said it yet, but my mom is the reason I cook. Growing up in Oklahoma City, my mother always had home cooked meals. Mother always had her kitchen organized and under control while making a meal. I think this is key to any cook and will keep you in the kitchen if you're somewhat organized. Some of my favorites of hers are pork chops and rice, stuffed bell peppers, Mexican casserole, pot roast, pita pizzas, deer chili and breakfast for dinner. When we would travel to the lake cabin during the summer, she'd have the best food packed up that we'd enjoy for the weekend like grilled chicken strips, beef brisket and the like. Good memories and fun times with mother.

Marilyn's Sausage and Egg Casserole (I doubled this today)

1 lb. sausage (I used the extra sage kind)
1 can chopped green chiles, undrained (I added two heaping spoonfuls diced japs for a little extra kick, but I could've used a 1/4 cup)
2 cups grated cheese (I used Colby jack)
6 eggs (I doubled this recipe, and used 16 fresh eggs)
1/2 c. milk

Brown sausage, drain well. Mix sausage with green chiles and cheese. Put in a greased 8 X 11 casserole dish. Whisk eggs and milk together and pour on top of sausage mixture. Bake 25 minutes on 350. (I baked it 30 minutes to get the eggs more "set up")

Well, I am glad Boxing Day has come and gone. We had Benton, Grac, Helbron/Richard, Bettie/John, Julie/Matt, Bobby, Mark, Reece, Martin and the kids, Whit/Stella, Tom B/Clarah Creighton, Chloe, Cooper, Eli/Trevor/Austin and J Gracchus/Caroline. It was a fun party and I am thankful I have 364 days until the next one. If I'm not working next year, I'll be shopping and staying over at the Peabody in Memphis.

No comments:

Post a Comment