Image Map

Potato Soup

Tuesday, December 22, 2009




Tuesday, December 22, 2009

One of my favorite recipes during the winter months is this potato soup. I've given it for years with southern cornbread to friends during the holidays. Nothing like a meal that you can nuke in the microwave later on in the week. I've been making this recipe from Carolyn Raffety for years, and via Jackie, I cut down the amount of bacon in it which is truly remarkable since he claims I don't serve enough meat around here. And it was noticeable last night when he had Fettuccine Alfredo! Carolyn is another wonderful cook born and raised in Cross County. We are lucky to have so many friends and family with good culinary skills!

Potato Bacon Chowder, Carolyn Raffety

8 slices bacon, cut up
1 c. onion, chopped
4 c. cooked potatoes, cubed. I use 3-4 med potatoes for one recipe, boil with lid off or you'll have a mess I did this morning! I also use russet potatoes.
1 c. water
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c. sour cream, I always use light
1-3/4 c. milk, I always use 2% but could use cream
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and saute onion in drippings. (I microwave the bacon and just transfer drippings to a mini skillet and cook the onions until translucent). Drain onion on paper towel. Combine all ingredients and 1/2 the bacon in soup pot and warm over med-low heat. (Don't boil). Add bacon to crumble on top. Serves 6.

Southern Cornbread

2 c. self-rising cornmeal
1-3/4 c. buttermilk, could use 1-1/2 c. 2% milk
1/4 c. veg oil
1 egg, beaten

Combine all ingredients and pour into a prepared cast iron skillet. Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees. (To prepare cast iron, per my mother-in-law, pour veg oil in cold skillet and put in oven when preheating it. Once the oven is to the right temperature, carefully take skillet out of oven and pour oil into batter. BE SURE not to let that skillet stay in the oven past pre-heating, it will turn into a grease fire! This also helps season your skillet over time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment