Image Map

Broad Street Bakery, Jackson, Miss

Sunday, December 6, 2009





Thursday, December 3, 2009

Well we finally found it. THE place to eat on our way to our annual New Orleans trip. Jackie and I have passed this bakery for 9 years now and he finally researched the exit to take and we were delighted by our find. The bakery opened in 1998 by Dan Blumenthal and Jeff Good. Dan's grandfather was a baker since World War II and ran bakeries in Trenton for most of his life and was the inspiration behind this bakery.

The menu is quite extensive as is the gigantic case of bakery delights. We unfortunately arrived at 12:00 straight up and the place was packed. We worried about how long it would take and were pleasantly surprised when our food was ready in less than 10 minutes, amazing. I was torn between two sandwiches and asked the cashier which one she liked most. Either the Portabella Vegetarian Sandwich or the Ham and Roasted Asparagus Sandwich. She said the Ham and Roasted Asparagus was fabulous (pic #2) so I ordered it on sourdough bread and it was complemented by field greens with tomato, homemade croutons and balsamic vinaigrette (my favorite dressing in all the land). I was in heaven with this choice. The asparagus was exceptional, something I wouldn't put on a sandwich and the herbed mayo was a great touch. I have to confess that I did scrape some of the mayo off but the Havarti and ham was warm and the earthy, roasted asparagus was a great touch to this sandwich.

Of course I also ordered the praline bar cookie (pic #4). OMG, is all I could force myself to say as I got into this little wonder on our way back down I-55. That's "oh my goodness", mother! BTW, that's "by the way", Jackie got the Smoked Chicken BLT with Zappo's chips (pic#3). I was astounded by this order when the menu boasted a Reuben, Roast Beef, Po-Boys and the like. He ordered it because it was listed under the Broad Street "Originals" and was pleased with his choice. The menu also had choices of pizzas, oven selections like lasagna, salads, pastas, wraps, soups, quiche and the kid's menu had flavors of catfish, ham and cheese sandwiches, corn dog, chicken strips, marinara and Alfredo and of course a peanut butter and jelly with a choice of sides like Zappo's chips, salad or soup. Amazing and all on a kid's menu...and are priced around $4-6 including a beverage. I think Chloe would have ordered the pasta marinara with a side of chips!

I have to confess that after our lingering lunch at Acme Oyster House on our way home Saturday, we hit this spot again on the way home. I ordered the quiche special as a snack, and Jackie ordered the Reuben and loved it. They have a very efficient take out system, we were on the road in no time.

You can't order wrong at Broad Street Bakery. The selection of breads for your sandwich can also be purchased in loaves which we did for our babysitters, grandad and memaw. They got the rye, sourdough and several praline bars and their report was the same as mine, what a blessing to have hit the Broad Street Bakery. The ladies room gets a gold star too, they had that trash can by the door, love it!

Broad Street Bakery, Jackson, MS, 601-362-2900, Northside Exit off I-55, by the way!
www.broadstbakery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment