Image Map

Picante Sauce, Birdeye

Sunday, February 19, 2012

The picante sauce cooking over low heat...about to get a lid on

I just love fresh jalapenos..the recipe calls for 13 but I used
about 4 jumbo ribs, seeds and all....And it wasn't too spicy!

I substituted a Pablano for a green bell pepper and it was great!

Jackie got me this Salt Pig from the Viking store
for Christmas, I love, love this thing!

The homemade picante sauce is mixed with enchilada sauce
and it makes for a great topping over these enchiladas!

Chloe was ready last Saturday to cook some lunch
after watching many episodes of Chopped off the
Food Network and loves to make us lunch now...

Chloe likes to serve her grilled cheeses with a
choice of sliced or whole pickles and either
baked or real cheetos...cracks me up!
Sunday, February 19, 2012

Happy Birthday Beth!  We all did a repeater last night and had dinner at Felicia Suzanne's to celebrate Beth Bradshaw's 34th birthday.  We had a ton of fun and I enjoyed that Jerome was our waiter again.  How fun!

So this morning when Jackie and Martino left for their annual boys trip to Oaklawn for President's Day, Chloe and I cleaned up her closet, bath toys and farm toys.  It literally took us an hour and a half and then we were "done".  Stella called and asked if Chloe could come over to play and Chloe said, "I'll go mama, if you'll set a timer for an hour and come get me".  Well I just came from over there after 2-1/2 hours and Chloe told me to check back with her in another 30 minutes.  That's how it goes, worry and it's no big deal, don't worry and you're stuck in a foreign country for three days without any bags or underwear.

Ok so I had to go to my mom's cookbook she gave me way back "Wild about Southwest Cooking" and I made two enchiladas and homemade Picante Sauce which is divine.  It's easy and made us meals for several weeks.  So here's how it goes....

Picante Sauce, from Wild about Southwest Cooking

12-14 fresh jalapenos
1 chopped green bell pepper, I used a poblano
1-4 oz. can chopped green chilies, I used a 7 oz can
1 large onion, finely chopped, very finely chopped
2-28 oz cans whole tomatoes, mashed, I used 2-28 oz cans diced
Juice of 2 limes

Seed and chop jalapenos, you may leave seeds for hotter sauce (I kept all ribs and seeds).  Combine with all ingredients in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2-2 hours with the lid on.  Ladle into hot sterilized jars and seal with 2 piece lids and store in refrigerator.  (I split the sauce between 3 quart bags and froze it to go with the enchiladas I made today)  You can use fresh tomatoes instead of canned to make a chunky sauce.  If the sauce is too hot, add additional tomatoes.  Yield 20 servings.  Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment