Image Map

Lemon Squares, Birdeye

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Oh I just love some easy Lemon Squares!

I had to take a picture of how dark they get before cutting
and adding powdered sugar

Jackie, me,
Sarah Jane and Cade Martin at the
JA Auxiliary Ball last night.  A big
thank you to them for inviting us,
we had a blast!
Sunday, February 26, 2012

WOW, what a busy weekend!  After the Move it Memphis 10K yesterday, lunch and then the Junior Auxiliary Charity Ball last night in Jonesboro, I was plum worn out today but we had a dessert church thingy, so I made these fabulous cookies that are a cinch to make.  They're so easy that while they were baking, I got the car unpacked, laundry organized, Chloe's school stuff organized and so forth.

The recipe is from "Memories of an Arkansas Family" by the family of Otis Adams, Jr. of Vanndale.  I've had this cookbook since we got married in 1993 and I love it and have several recipes I use year round.  Here's to the fabulous Lemon Squares:

Lemon Squares

 2 C. flour
1 C. butter
(no substitutes) 1/2 C. powdered sugar

Let butter come to room temperature and blend with the flour and sugar.  (I use a pastry blender) Press into a 9X13 pan and bake at 325 for 20 minutes or until brown around the edges.  (I spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray and it takes mine 25-28 minutes in a glass pan).  While crust is baking, mix together the following:

2 C. sugar
4 eggs slightly beaten
4 T. fresh lemon juice (that's 2 lemons)
2 T. grated lemon ring (2 lemons)
4 T. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

Pour about over baked crust and bake at 350 fro 25-30 minutes (to get brown, just bake 23 minutes, see photo above).  Cool and then sift powdered sugar over top and cut into small squares.  Makes about 3 dozen.  (They do keep in an airtight container for a week)

I just love these cookies and they're chocolate free which is right up Chloe's alley during this Lent season.  So far so good for her commitment, we're so proud of her.  She's the biggest Chocolate Hound in Cross County, I'm just sayin!

No comments:

Post a Comment