Image Map

Tortilla Coast, Washington DC

Monday, March 22, 2010





Tuesday, March 23, 2010

On our last day in the Capital, Chloe and I had a tour of the White House scheduled through Rep. Marion Berry's office. But...the health care bill was passed Sunday night and was to be signed on Tuesday at noon at the White House, the exact time of our tour, dang it. So Chloe and I got a tour of the Capital Building by one of Berry's staffers, Jonathon Bunch from Batesville, Ark. Jonathon was wonderful and welcoming to us knowing we were disappointed about the White House tour. He gave a great tour including history of the art work and rooms and wings of the building. On his recommendation, Chloe and I had lunch just a few blocks away at Tortilla Coast. He said lots of political figures and staffers eat there. We didn't recognize any but were thrilled with his recommendation.

We arrived and the place was packed, a good 15 minute wait at 12:30 wasn't too bad I thought. We were seated near the bar and had the wonderful Jose tending to us. Chloe was seated with a great kid's menu with tons of selections. She decided on Pineapple Juice and soft tacos with rice. She wanted chicken instead of beef so we had to send back Jose's first delivery. I got the veggie combo which was huge but I loved it. It had a spinach and mushroom enchilada, guacamole taco, black beans and rice with a side of pico de gallo. I added a side of japs to it also, Jose didn't even flinch when I added them. It was ultra fresh, the tortillas were house made and super thin, the way they should be. With Chloe's juice order, I got a beer, Shiner Bock, it was a perfect beverage for my lunch. They served complementary chips and salsa but I didn't partake as I was still giving up chips and chocolate for Lent.

No dessert for us, Jackie joined us right before we left, killing time before heading Senator Lincoln's office. We enjoyed watching the basketball highlights from the bar. We were headed back to the hotel to pack, our flight out of Baltimore was to leave first thing Wednesday.

We loved Tortilla Coast, it's location and price, just $32 for both of us. There were a lot of things I'd like to try on that menu but maybe next time!

I added a pic inside the Capital and a picture of Chloe and Biscuit the minute we got home, she missed him so much!

Tortilla Coast, 400 First Street SE, Washington DC, 202-546-6768 www.tortillacoast.com

No comments:

Post a Comment