Image Map

Orzo with Mushrooms, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Basil, Birdeye

Wednesday, April 14, 2010


Saturday, April 10, 2010

I bought a great vegetarian cookbook while in Chicago a few weeks ago. It's called the Supermarket Vegan. I am not a vegetarian but I am getting close. I have cooked more out of this cookbook than I have since Fresh, my favorite from Lake Austin Spa. This is an easy recipe and I had everything on hand and I was thrilled with it!

Orzo with Mushrooms, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Basil

2 T. olive oil
1 C. chopped onion
8 oz. sliced white or bella mushrooms
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped (I minced them)
1 t. coarse salt, I used Sea Salt
1/2 t. dried oregano, I used fresh oregano because I had it
1-2 t. fresh lemon juice, I used jarred, dang it
1/8 pound orzo pasta, cooked al dente, I used 8 oz uncooked
1/2 C. finely chopped fresh basil, I just chopped it
1/4 C. julienned and drained sun-dried tomato tomatoes, 1 T. marinade reserved

In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, oregano and pepper, cooking until mushrooms have released their liquids, 5-6 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, orzo, basil, tomatoes, reserved marinade and toss thoroughly and heated through. Remove from heat and serve at once.

I've made this twice and I love, love it!

1 comment: