Image Map

Papacitas, Birdeye

Wednesday, April 14, 2010




Thursday, April 15, 2010

Gosh, I've wanted to try this recipe from Fresh, my favorite cookbook in all the land, the one from Lake Austin Spa, by Terry Conlan, to be exact. I haven't been disappointed in one recipe from him. It's all fat conscious, fresh ingredients all the time and super, duper easy. I planted eggplant this year, so I can make that Veggie Sandwich with Pesto from last summer. I love, love this cookbook, I am telling you.

Okay, so after work, I was in a time crunch, and picked up the cookbook and realized I had everything it called for...how great is that?

Papacitas, Fresh Cookbook, Lake Austin Spa (Terry Conlan)

This is the description and I quote, "These tasty potato and masa pockets can be filled with just about anything (try sauteed mushrooms or bits of chopped cooked meat or poultry) and served just about anytime. They make a wonderful alternative breakfast or brunch item and shine as a light lunch or dinner entree. Serve with any of the salsas in this book, we especially like the Roasted Red Pepper or Avacado/Tomatillo salsas, and, perhaps some Pico De Gallo and fat-free sour cream. Serve one Papacita as an appetizer or two as an entree."

1 C. each: minced onion and fresh corn (I only grated my onion and used drained, canned corn)
1 small poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and minced (I get that joker under the broiler in foil for 8 minutes or until you can smell him cooking, put him in a paper sack for a while, say 10 minutes, then get him out on a cutting board, get the seeds out and chop small, I don't mince it, just sayin)
1-1/2 C. masa harina de maiz (this is near the cornmeal and what is used for tamales)
1 C. water
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
3 C. cooked and mashed potatoes (I microwave mine for 6 minutes or until soft, cool then scoop out of skin and into the bowl)
3 T. canola oil, I used Olive Oil, DON'T do that, use canola, they crisp better, dang it....

Use nonstick cooking spray, gently saute the onion and corn until softened in a nonstick pan. Add the poblano chile. Combine the masa, water, salt and baking powder in a bowl mixing well. Add potatoes and stir, mixing well. Divide the mixture into 12 balls, place a 6 inch square of plastic baggie on a work surface and top with 1 dough ball, press it into a 4 inch circle, scoop 2-3 tablespoons (not too much I say), using the plastic as a guide and fold the top half of the dough circle over the filling completely enclosing it. Crimp edges to seal. Repeat the process until all dough balls have been filled. Heat the canola oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Saute the filled Papacitas until golden on both sides. Serve warm with the salsa of your choice.

I had the ingredients for the Roasted Red Pepper Salsa on hand...

Roasted Red Pepper Salsa

1 medium red bell pepper, I only had a green one
3 medium tomatoes
1 small onion, sliced, I used a yellow
2 minced garlic cloves
1/4 C. fresh cilantro, mine came back from last year in the garden and was happy to use it
1 C. tomato juice, I used the V8 Chloe asked for but wouldn't drink...lol!
1 t. adobo paste from canned chipolte chiles
juice of 1 lime, I only had jarred, which is rare for me
1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt

Roast the bell pepper over hot coals turning until blistered about 5 minutes. (I roasted that thing with the Pablano) Transfer the pepper to a paper bag, closed tightly and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Remove the bag, peel and seed. Grill the tomatoes and onions until softened and the outsides are charred (I put those jokers in the oven and roasted them and it was delicious. Combine the pepper and the remaining ingredients in a blender and process until desired consistency. (Don't make it too smooth, make it somewhat chunky, which means brief processing!)

I served my Papacitas with a fresh avocado and arugula salad from my garden with balsamic vinaigrette. I love, love this recipe. Jackie said "uh..." so I sent the rest of the fellas (Papacitas) to Harmon and Jeanie since we were headed to Eureka Springs for my cousin's wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment