Image Map

Mediterranean Vegetable Sandwich with Basil/Feta Pesto, Birdeye

Sunday, August 29, 2010



Saturday, August 28, 2010

Terry Conlan is a genius! He's the cookbook author of Fresh, from Lake Austin Spa. I made this sandwich again and it's so wonderful. I love using ingredients from the backyard. This is a gourmet sandwich that literally takes 10 minutes to make...or maybe 15!

The Pesto

1 c. fresh basil, packed
1 t. minced garlic
3 T. feta cheese, I used mine from the Memphis Farmer's Market
1/8 t. salt and pepper
1-1/2 t. white wine vinegar, I used apple cider vinegar
2 T. olive oil
8 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped

Combine all ingredients but the olives in a blender or food processor and puree. The add the olives and pulse until combined, set aside.

The Sandwich

2 portabella mushrooms, stemmed and cut into 1/2 inch vertical slices
1 red bell pepper, quartered and seeded, I used my green
1 red onion, I use only a half
1 small eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch slices, my eggplant died in the heat this year so I did buy one, dang it
1 zucchini, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 c. shredded lettuce, I used romaine from the farmer's market
4 whole wheat hoagie buns, I used hoagie buns from Hay's, can't find whole wheat ones

Spray the mushrooms, pepper, onion, eggplant and zucchini with nonstick cooking spray and salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables over medium hot coals until soft and slightly charred, I use cooking spray in my grill pan on the stove and it works beautifully. Layer the vegetables on one half of the bun, top with lettuce, tomato and pesto. I do keep the pesto and vegetables up to a week and it is wonderful leftover, the pesto is even more pungent.

Chloe signed up for soccer this year! I'm so excited, it's one of my favorite sports to watch in the stands, lots of laughs. The pic is Chloe with Whit's hat on, I think it is some king of soccer hat. lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment