Image Map

Deadwood, South Dakota

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

George Mickelson Trail between Hill City and Deadwood




I got a ton of photos of Chloe from behind


This was when Chloe basically said she was DONE and over it....Only 15 more miles from here

An interpreter at Crazy Horse.  This is a privately funded monument that sits between Hill City and Deadwood.  The monument was started in 1931 by Chief Henry Standing Bear.  He commissioned Korczak Ziolkowski to design and build the monument.  From the web, "My fellow chiefs and I would like the white man to know that the red man has great heroes, too." This was in response to Mount Rushmore being built just a few miles away.  The monument officially was under construction in 1947.  For more history on the monument, check out https://crazyhorsememorial.org



Jackie had some heavy bags...



A good photo of Crazy Horse 


Crazy Horse monument in the distance



Chloe's gears kept messing up (as they did in Chicago a few weeks ago).  Jackie got it working in no time...


If you read this blog, you know I have to take a photo over my shoulder which isn't easy to do....In fact, I got a ton
of footage of Chloe riding on the bike movie style and it was scary a couple times trying to watch where I was going...

A view of downtown Deadwood
So proud of Chloe making it 50 miles on Friday and doing 129 the whole trip (yes, I know, I didn't start the odometer
on time).  She hiked probably10-12 miles in-between bike rides 

Chloe ready to get in the car and take a shower like me...whew it was fun but boy were we glad it was O.V.E.R!
Friday, July 31, 2015

We arrived in Deadwood early afternoon after riding 50 miles from Hill City.  Jackie had the pannier bags packed full of our overnight things...This ride from Hill City climbed over 1,000 feet but once we hit the top, there wasn't any pedaling coming down into Deadwood.  Chloe did remark on the last 15 miles of the trip, "stupid hills".  And I was done too when we arrived in Deadwood.  Chloe kept saying on the tour of the George Mickleson Trail that she kept thinking she heard helicopters but of course, it was 750,000 Harley Davidson bike riders coming in town for the 75th Annual Sturgis Festival.  You know on her quote list was "Every time I open my eyes I see a line of motorcycles".  Saturday we headed for home and stopped in Kansas City.  Photos to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment