Image Map

Poblano Peppers et all, Birdeye

Tuesday, October 19, 2010


Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What a nice surprise to come home from Kentucky and have my pepper bushes bringing on the fruit even in this drought. These are poblanos, banana peppers, jalapenos, bells and serranos. I was so excited to freeze theses guys after Joy told me to freeze my peppers. I'm looking forward to gettin them out this winter. I love, love poblanos in my Mexican cooking. One recipe that I love from a cookbook my mom gave me, "Wild About Mexican Cooking", back when I was a senior at Fayetteville, uses roasted green chiles. Here's how to use those bad boys...

Spinach Enchiladas

1-10 oz. can chicken soup
8 oz. sour cream, I always, always use lite
1/2 C. chopped, peeled, roasted green chiles, I always use poblanos
1-10 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 T. minced onion, I always grate a white onion from the garden
2 C. chopped cooked chicken
3/4 C. minced onion, I grate it
1 lb. Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded, I use Colby Jack
12 corn tortillas
1 C. chicken broth, I never use this

Combine soup, sour cream, chilies, spinach and 2 tablespoons onion in blender and process till smooth. Combine chicken, onion, HALF the cheese in a bowl and mix. Soften tortillas in chicken broth. Spoon chicken mixture into tortillas, roll to enclose filling and arrange in baking dish. (Spray a casserole with non-stick cooking spray) Top with spinach mixture and remaining cheese. Bake 325 for 30 minutes. How easy is this?? I also make one recipe, freeze half of it for later, it's great.

I always serve with Black Beans topped with tomatoes, cilantro and the rest of that onion and salt and pepper. And if my greens are producing in the garden, a small wild salad with goat cheese and balsamic. Yes, a salad is crazy but I love it.

To roast poblanos or any other peppers, I spray some aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray (rinse peppers FIRST) and put in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. You will smell them at 5 minutes and they should be turned. When you take them out of the oven, let them cool for a minute or so and place in a brown paper bag. This will allow the skins to fall off and makes deveining them a cinch. Any pepper will do, you can roast anything even japs and bananas and bells, and it works just as well, I've tried it!

No comments:

Post a Comment