Image Map

Roasted Red Pepper Salsa, Birdeye

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Blogger is jacked up again...here's the finished product.
So delicious on egg whites and for a salsa with baked chips!

Chloe on Sunday right after getting home from DC....It was
80 degrees and she grabbed Gumball Waterson and he
loved gettin in the pool...they crack me up.
He's on my hit list since I found a
water hose chewed up today dang it! :)

Winnie Bob planted these Azaleas
 at her gate in 1991

They really are outstanding!

Her daffodils are still blooming and have this year since January

I copied off Kara and got my tomatoes in
for the first time 4 weeks before our last
projected frost....We'll see if this is the
death of my garden....
The veggies before they go into the oven

My blender with a double recipe
(look at the daffodils...:))
Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Winnie Bob's birthday is this week so I had to add some photos from her beautiful yard.  We are so lucky to have such a mature yard.

One of my favorite recipes from Fresh, Lake Austin Spa by Terry Conlan, is this salsa.  It's so stinking easy that I think everyone can pull it off.  So here it goes and with some photos....

"This earthy, brick-red salsa with complex flavors and sweet, smoky undertones drawn from the grilling process and the chilpotle chiles is great as a simple chipper and dipper, or as a lively accompaniment to any number of Mexican, masa-based dishes."

1 medium red bell pepper, I doubled today, so I used two and cut them in half so they wouldn't char too much
3 medium tomatoes, I only used 4 romas today; I also added a poblano
1 small onion, I only used one but doubled the pepper
2 garlic cloves minced, I used 4
1/4 C fresh cilantro leaves, take stems off and I did double this
1 C. tomato juice, I used tomato sauce
1 t. adobo paste from canned chipotle chiles, buy this 4 oz can in the latino/mexican isle; Rachel Ray said on Food Network to freeze the left overs and break off the amount you need later, and it's worked beautifully for me, the can I froze was back in November, don't judge me, it tastes great! :)
Juice of 1 lime, I only used one
1/2 t. sugar and 1/2 t. salt, I did double to balance the acid in the tomatoes

Roast the bell pepper over hot coals, turning until it is thoroughly blistered, about 5-10 minutes (I always broil on 500 degrees about 15 minutes, I hate waisting charcoal if I'm not cooking out).  Transfer the pepper to a paper bag and close it tightly and allow it to steam for 10 minutes.  Remove the bag, peel and seeds.  Grill tomatoes and onion over hot coals until softened and charred (I just roast with peppers in the oven). Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until the desired consistency is reached.  Yield 80 1 T. servings, or double that for my recipe today.

Nutrients: Cal 3; Prot 1 gr; Carb 1 gr; Fat 1 gr.

No comments:

Post a Comment