Image Map

Navy Beans, Birdeye

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Again, if there was a scratch-n-sniff ya'll would love it...

Ingredients....

Cornbread in a mini pan..perfect for a family of 4-6

Look at this shot of Doctor Calico....always being a cat and
constantly complaining that his breakfast, lunch AND dinner
buffet aren't up to his standards.....


Thursday, November 15, 2012

Another faux pas of mine is that I haven't blogged a recipe of MY OWN in a while...I forget when I get all fired up about something new and I want to share but I haven't told you about a recipe that I've come up with from my mother and my mother-in-law's recommendations.  Here it is...heavy on the sage and you can give or take any of my ingredients but one thing I've learned while living in Arkansas is that you CANNOT, ever, I mean EVER, serve Jiffy Cornbread. I've tried this approach and have been talked down upon on for using a mix.  Well, I never really thought I could make homemade cornbread without a mix but you can and it's a must with these easy, homemade beans that will have the whole family coming back for more.  So I'll give you the beans recipe and the cornbread will follow with my own requirements.

And for the sake of telling how I figured out how to make these beans, here goes....we were newlyweds and Jackie was tired in law school of me making summer-like dishes in the winter months and said, "what about some beans?", I think it went that way...well, I called up my mother, the best cook ever and asked her how to make them and what in the world I should season them with, they looked so BLAND in the package.  She said, "oh probably some sage, onion powder, garlic salt, salt and pepper or whatever you figure out.  Just try it and write it down".  What great advice as I have made these now for 20 years and have made too salty beans, too hot beans with pepper (not my homegrown jalapeno peppers), too dry beans and too soupy beans.  Finally, I think I've figured it out but every once in a while, and I think this is true of all cooks, you follow the recipe but somehow it stinks....here is a fool proof way to serve a very inexpensive meal that is full of protein, fiber and vitamins.  You can Google that.

Navy Beans, from my kitchen, Birdeye

1 lb. navy beans (great northern beans or cannellini are good substitutes and I've done this before)
6 C. water, twice
3/4 t. salt
1-1/2 onion powder
1 t. pepper, I like course ground
3/4 t. garlic salt
1 t. rubbed sage, you can do ground but use less
6 slices bacon, cooked in microwave not crispy, saving all the juices for flavor

Soak beans overnight with water.  Drain and add to crock pot with 5 cups fresh water and all remaining ingredients and cook all day long, anywhere from 6-12 hours on low is fine.  I love that we have that many hours to get it done.  Serve only with homemade cornbread (skip the Jiffy).

Homemade Cornbread (for a small cast iron skillet, double for a 10 inch skillet)

2 C. self rising corn meal mix
1-1/2 C. buttermilk, whole or 2% works, but I love buttermilk
1/4 t. baking soda
1 t. sugar
2 eggs, I use our farm fresh eggs
1/4 C. pork drippings, I use olive oil heating in the pan during preheat...a great way to season that cast iron skillet

Preheat oven to 450 (only do 400, this is off the back of the mix package, it'll get soupy in the middle and dark on top).  Grease the pan, I use Pam or nonstick cooking spray.  Combine corn meal, sugar and soda and set aside.  Add eggs, milk and oil in separate bowl mixing well and add to dry ingredients.  Pour into hot pan and cook 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Enjoy peeps!  Lemme know what you think! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment