Image Map

Sopa Tlalpena, Birdeye

Monday, November 5, 2012


Ohh the stock...delicous....

The finished product...I'm telling you..Yummm it's awesome!
(and easy I will say!)

I was also doing some heavy scrap booking...
it's always a labor of love when doing the books....
Coco loves to nestle next to me
whenever there's a good book to read together or a storm.
Yes, she is precious....(moms...be sure to take photos with
your babies...it's so important no matter how large your thighs
are).  It's important to have these photos...



How fun are these photos...!!!  Here's Whit, August,
CoCo and Stella....Chloe loves her precious cousins.....

Those dogs love her....they can't get enough....

A great photo....



Sunday, Nov. 4, 2012

Last week I had the house to myself and couldn't finish scrap booking (I was done) and have admired this recipe FOREVER.  I took the time to make the chicken stock for the base of the soup and I'm telling you I'm sold on it.  It totally makes a difference.  I'm adding some photos for fun too.

I had to add what Sopa Tlalpena means and here is what I found from another blogger:   (Sopa means soup)  Incidentally, the name Tlalpeño denotes the soup's geographical origin of Tlapan, the largest borough of the Federal District of Mexico City. The word Tlapan comes from the Aztec tongue of Náhuatl and means "on the land". From http://delatierrablog.blogspot.com/2010/10/sopa-tlalpeno.html

So here's the recipe from Fresh, Lake Austin Spa, Terry Conlan

"This soup, a version of the classic Mexican Tortilla Soup, is a perennial favorite of our guests.  The whole chicken, coupled with the stock, gives an important dimension and depth to the broth.  You may omit the chipotle chiles, which are smoked jalapenos, for a milder version.  We like to pass the garnishes with the soup and let each person select their version, however, a squeeze of lime juice is considered mandatory."

The Stock (And the key!!)

1 small chicken, cut up (I didn't have one so used 2 thighs and 2 breasts)
12 cups stock (I made from Chicken Boulionne cubes)
1 t. adobo paste from canned chipotle chilies (save chilies for below)
1/2 C each carrot, celery, onion
1 bay leaf (used two)
6 black peppercorns (very important, not something to skip)
8 cilantro stems (also important and don't skip)
4 garlic cloves, minced

Combine chicken, stock and paste in large soup pot over medium heat.  Add everything else and bring to a simmer cooking for 1 hour, skimming as necessary.  Remove the chicken and shred, reserve the meat and discard the chicken bones.  Strain and RESERVE THE LIQUID.  (the best stock YOU'VE ever had...seriously I thought what a dumb person I am for not making this before, I've seen it done 100 times on Food Network and thought a what time waste but it's easier than making tamales I'm sayin...)

The Soup:

Stock from scratch, 10 cups
1/2 c. celery and carrot chopped
1 c. diced onion
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. oregano (I used 1 t)
1/2 c corn (I used frozen)
1/2 c. hominy, drained and rinsed (I used another 1/2 c. corn because I didn't have this)
10 canned chipotle chiles, rinsed and seeded (the key really is seeding these bad boys, they are very SPICY)

The Garnish:
Avacado (this is key and delicious)
Toasted tortilla strips (I didn't do this)
radish (I didn't have this)
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Shredded queso fresco (I used feta baby)
Lime

Combine the carrot, celery and onion in a nonstick cooking spray in a LARGE soup pot over medium heat and saute until soft.  Add the reserved stock, chicken and remaining ingredients except for chipotle chilies. Cook until heated through. Pass the garnish assortment of garnishments.

I love, love this recipe, it's so delicious and easy, easy to make!!!!

Nutrients per serving: Cal 44, Prot 4 gr, Carbs 8 gr, Fat 0 gr, Sod 1252 gr

No comments:

Post a Comment